Saturday 28 January 2017

RETURN

  A mother’s lamentation...
“You came to my life when I was just seventeen
I was a young bride then, delicate and shy
When suddenly, a fatal night dawned upon me
Your father’s corpse was carried to our doorstep
Killed in a political riot ...calamity struck our lives
Our house was devastated by pillagers, your grandparents were shot
I fled for life, for I was carrying another life yet unborn
Endless days of hunger, concealment, my life was draining out
To my rescue, a benevolent passerby took me to a refugee camp
There, in the midst of sorrow and strife, I gave birth to you
A ray of light illumined my bleak spirit
A wonderful boy, my beam of hope, the inspiration of my existence
My youth was devoted to your upbringing
 In your pristine eyes, I saw a heart for the poor and needy
I wanted you to grow up to help the destitute and the outcast
For I know the pangs of the homeless, the sufferers of fate
I sought to the fulfilment of my dreams
Alas! My ominous fate was inevitable
Mesmerised by irresistible carnal temptations
You walked away from my life in pursuit of lucre
Left me a geriatric destitute
My desolate bosom wept for you each day over the passing years
My staggering hands wanted to hold you just for once, before the Eternal Silence
To hug you and tell you that your mother loved you a lot...
I am leaving behind not any treasure, but only my blessings.”

This note reached the son when his mother was no more. He was full of remorse and compassion. While she was alive, he never cared to visit her or even post a single letter, never cared to know and understand her. He had been severely ruthless to her. Now there is no means for redemption. She is lying at rest and he is the sinner. At dusk, staring at his mother’s tomb, he takes a vow... 
Soliloquy of a son at his mother’s grave... 
A good soul cannot be perished by death... 
I had been dispassionate, unworthy of your love
Recollections come to my mind of my childhood days
The soft hum of your tune at bed-time
The tender touch of your fingers, the aroma of your falling locks
The smile on your face...
A ruthless son suffered death much before you did, carried away by hollow lust
Killed human instincts within his pious soul
But my tears will not be the response to your death 
                                     YOUR PROFLIGATE SON RETURNS                                                            You’ll live through the hundreds that I’ll serve
I’ll bear your silence in my heart till I fulfil your dreams
I beg for your forgiveness...Let your prayers follow me...”


Hence forth, with sheer determination, he laboured to start a partnership business. Today he is a successful businessman in India. As a tribute to his mother, he is running an Orphanage in a remote village in the eastern district. This ANATHASHRAM is named after her. Perhaps it’s his desperate attempt to achieve salvation...

No comments:

Post a Comment