Saturday 28 January 2017

THE LAST NIGHT

While the festive season was on,
The Goddess, welcomed with hands outstretched
With hymns, prayers... abounded with colour the lively world
Smile on each face, enthusiasm and anticipation in all hearts
To go on fast for the nine days of Navrathri...
Such a time of devotion, sacred togetherness, such vivacious gathering...

Never did I know then that it would be the night last
That last night and the last time that I would speak to you, my Mother,
And the day next, SILENCE...thy cold lips could no longer move to utter praise for the Almighty...
Thy immaculate worship, turned but to dust...
To perish underneath the surface...
Thy holy soul, departed forever from this earthly abode…I stood as stiff as a stone...
Gazing at thy still body...lying motionless on the ground...Thy limbs drawn stiff, immovable...
So helpless was I that night...was left a disabled spectacle of anguish...
While the merry tunes were resounding the air with mirth and joviality.

The silence of that space, that part of my being, still stands void…
Without you... the most precious, my Mother.
The countless days and the lonely nights that I keep missing you
Ceaselessly, incessantly, the essence of your gait...
Still lingers in the breeze...I feel your presence,
I smell the aroma of your reckless locks...
You are here, yet invisible to the naked eye.

........................................................................................

Years passed by, my sole dependence on you alone, my Father
My friend, my guide, my comfort, with whom I shared my joys and my pangs
Who cared for more than a mother during the tough hours of parturition...
The one who guided me to climb the heights of prosperity...
Pacified each other by the sweet exchange of words, over an evening cup of coffee...
He, who was the strength that sustained my living... until, again…
This cruel cruel destiny, envious of this petite solace of togetherness...
Once again, it was the night that was the last…
That last night and the last time that I spoke to you, my Father
And the day next, SILENCE… thy parched lips, immovable... no more of those loquacious evenings...
The eternal darkness that has engulfed me now , that vacant treasury of my heart which yearns for thy blessed touch
So far away from mortal reach you are, gone to an unknown world of perpetual peace...the most precious…my Father
I know you are, yet invisible to my naked eye...

Lost to infinity, my love, my worship, my beloved parents
Those fatal nights which'll keep haunting me to my grave.
.............................................................................................

Life is but an endless dream,
Striving each day for wealth, for fame...
Till you reach the last night of your life's doom
And then, nothing remains…the cemetery is the wrong place to hold your material bounty,
You are a poor man at your grave...
Just a dusty identity engraved in the tombstone
Glaring at the oblivious world, speechless, motionless and helpless...
.............................................................................................

Such unpleasant occurrences have left me a perspicacious individual
Wishing to live each day gloriously and conquer 'That Last Night' to come, with commendable deeds, a true successor of pure blood...
And leave behind a smile that the world shall remember.
.............................................................................................

A tribute to my parents, who are no more...


No comments:

Post a Comment